Sings that say your child is drowning-The centers to control the disease and to prevent have obtained the data. According to this data, drowning is the second cause of unintentional injury and death among children between the age of 1 year and 14 years. This incident happens because most of the parents are unable to recognize the signs of drowning. Parents believe in myths that are created by advertisements, movies, and other things on social media. By seeing and feeling these myths, they put themselves’ and their loved ones’ lives in danger.
Here, we have listed down some important signals which will tell you that your child is in danger. In this situation, you have to act correctly and save your child.
How will I get to know that my child is drowning?
An American lifeguard, Frank Pia identified the typical behaviors of drowning and also documented his findings. According to him, a person who is drowning does not advertise about his situation and nor anyone can judge it except the trained eye. This process is quick and usually silent. We have mentioned some signs below that you should be aware of.
A call for help and breathing
A lot of people usually expect for the splashing call or convulsive agitation. A drowning person is in such a condition that he is even not able to speak a single word. A person struggles to breathe in extreme danger. You are thinking wrong that you can help your child within seconds after listening to your child’s voice for help.
A drowning person’s primary goal is to keep his head above the water. It is because the person extends his arms to the sides and move his arms alternately up and down. These moves help the person to raise and lower his body in the water for some time. In this way, they get a chance to get the air. These movements require a lot of efforts. It is because the child will not be able to perform these actions for a long time.
Drowning person’s body remains in the vertical position. A drowning person is unable to make any supportive kicks. As the process going on, the head of the drowning person submerges lower in the water. This whole process takes around 20 to 60 seconds.
In the drowning situation, people usually manage to turn toward the shore. By seeing this movie, you can judge a person’s case because they can make only this move. A person can not move in any direction with lack of leg movements and chaotic arm actions. At the end of the situation, you may be able to see only the grasping hands or the head of the person.
Other sings that say your child is drowning
These following signs can also show that your child is in danger.
- The child’s glassy and empty eyes are unable to focus around him.
- Gasping or hyperventilating
- Hair over the forehead or eyes
- Your child appears to be climbing an invisible ladder.
- Your child tries to roll over on his back
What can you do in an emergency?
It is the list of the actions that you can do to save your child in an emergency:
- Firstly take your child out of the water.
- Then check your child’s breath. If he is not breathing, you should immediately start cardiopulmonary resuscitation. If your child is breathing then take him to the nearest hospital for his checkup.
- Ask the nearby people to call 911.
- You should concentrate on CPR if you are alone until your child can breathe his own. After the situation comes under control, call 911.
How can you prevent an emergency?
- When your children are near or in the water, do not leave them alone. Keep your eyes on them for every second.
- If you want to relax with your friends, you can choose the water watcher for your children.
- Your child should know how to swim. Otherwise, your child should wear a life – saving jacket.
- Teach your children that swimming in a pool is different than the swimming in the open water.
- Your child should know the depth, limited visibility, uneven surfaces, undertow, and currents of the water.